Turmeric (curcuma longa) is extremely well known all around Asia. For countless years turmeric has been used as a spice in cooking. But nowadays you'll see plenty of turmeric based supplements in all sorts of industries such as beauty, fitness etc. For skin care, turmeric based face masks are very common these days and are continuing to gain even more popularity. People not only love it because of the benefits it has, its also because it doesn't contain any harmful chemicals and is considered really safe to use.
Benefits of turmeric in treating dark spots
- Hyperpigmentation is one of the cause of dark spots. This can also be treated or prevented by turmeric as it is rich in antioxidants which helps keep your healthy skin cells healthy. A study shows that a turmeric cream reduced hyperpigmentation in just four weeks, that too by 14 percent.
- Due to its antibacterial potential, you may even use turmeric to not only for dark spots but also to prevent and treat acne or cystic acne.
For skin care, add this magic spice on your shelf. You can even fight skin irritation and wrinkles with turmeric.
- Turmeric helps reduce inflammation even in people with arthritis. The anti inflammation effects in turmeric are created by its active compounds which are known as Curcuminoids. Hence these anti inflammatory effects can also help your skin. Even with skin conditions such as psoriasis, turmeric has shown some benefits.
Make your own turmeric face mask
- If the cause of your dark spots is hyperpigmentation, you can simply add turmeric to yogurt and lemon juice to make a face mask of your own.
- Leave the face mask on for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- After rinsing you can use your moisturiser as usual.
Risks of using turmeric
Overall, turmeric is considered safe to use. You can use it topically and orally. However in oral supplements there have been some cases related to gastrointestinal issues. Other than that there's hardly any known side effects of turmeric. If anything you can start with a patch test first to see how your skin reacts to it.
List of alternative solutions